Alcohol poisoning of pets becoming a real problem
But pets are also likely to succumb to alcohol poisoning during the festive period, as a result of them sneaking a sip of any drink left lying around the house – with potentially dire consequences.
And with more people now drinking at home than in pubs the problem is likely to get worse.
Vets have warned that because pets such as cats and dogs are naturally inquisitive, they are likely to sniff out and taste any liquids left in glasses on the floor and because of their size it takes very little to make them drunk.
While the majority of cases are the result of careless owners leaving drink lying around there is a sinister new twist to the phenomenon.
Some animals are being deliberately given alcoholic drinks so their antics can be filmed by owners and broadcast on social media platforms such as Youtube. Several of the films posted online show owners feeding beer and other alcohol to their animals.